This perfect make-ahead breakfast is great on its own or served like cereal. My favorite way to enjoy baked oatmeal is topped with a splash of cold milk, a sprinkle of brown sugar and fresh berries.
1½ cups quick cooking oats
¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
⅓ cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the quick cooking oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Mix until well combined and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg. Whisk in milk, maple syrup and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the oat bowl and stir to combine.
- Lightly spray an 8-by-8-inch glass baking dish (or comparable dish) with cooking spray and pour the oatmeal mixture in.
- Bake for 30 minutes until set and golden brown.
- Enjoy as is or serve with more milk, brown sugar, fruit and chopped nuts.
- For those with allergy concerns, this recipe can be made egg-free and dairy-free. Substitute almond milk for dairy milk. Instead of egg, substitute: 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal combined with 4 tablespoons water until a gel forms. Add half of a mashed banana for extra moisture. Add in the flaxseed mixture and ½ mashed banana with the liquids, mix and bake as directed.
Serving size: ½ cup
Calories: 194; Total fat: 4g; Saturated fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 37mg; Sodium: 206mg; Carbohydrates: 36g; Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 22g; Protein: 5g; Potassium: 169mg; Phosphorus: 148mg